GospelBuzz Interview: Thili Maumela

By Andile Nkosi
Venda gospel is among the fastest growing sub-genres of gospel in the continent. To pay homage to this growing sub-genre, we caought up with the winner of the 2015 Mzansi Christian Awards for Best Traditional Album of the Year, Thili Maumela.  Thili is a unique African voice with a distinct sound and passion for writing original songs. Over WhatsApp we chatted for an hour and this is what went down...

Do you mind sharing your age with the GospelBuzzers? 
Not at all ,I am 34

So, when did the music bug bite you?
From an early age of 5 music became my passion. I loved imitating Dr Rebecca Malope and knew that one day I will also be recognized.I took music more serious when I got tertiary, Vaal University of Technology. I became a member of the Sco and music was really taken serious there. It is during this time that I began working even more harder towards my calling.

Can you tell us about your first recording experience 
It was in 2008 while working on  my first album Mukona Zwothe. It was in Pretoria and I still remember every moment. First it was not making sense as I was supposed to sing after the instruments, and back for myself as well. This was strange since I was used to sing live at church. But after  I listened to what I had sung, it was amazing and sounding beautiful, maybe it's because I was hearing myself for the very first time in the record. And from there I was got used to the system, got more comfortable and was able to bring out quality in my voice. 

Tell us about your previous releases
I have 5 Albums,Mukona Zwothe (2008); Uzuko Ku Thixo (2009); Mudzimu Ndi Lufuno (2011); Elelwani (2014) and Praise Him In Advance (2016). Of these, only the last 2 were commercially sold. The other three were not taken to stores.

Your latest offering, Praise Him In Advance, what inspired the title?
It was inspired by 2 Chronicles 20, when king Jehoshaphat was faced with the war and all he did was to call the musicians to come sing and worship to the Lord and that's where they got their victory. In the making of my DVD the question was, what kind of war you are facing in your life but bear in mind that through your Praise and Worship there is victory. This album title encourages us to let Judah go first. Let your Praise go first and you will see how good he can fight your battle

Who inspires you musically?
Oliver Mutukuzi, Stimela and Hugh Masikela. They have been consistent and remain true to their African touch and sound

How would you describe your sound?
My Music is created out of our traditional cultural rhythm and then we add bit of symphony. On lyrics, there should be at least 70% of Biblical sciptures/ References. To top it off, I use words of royalty as we hail the King.

Tell us about the call to minister through music. When did you  hear it. And how does one know it's not just his thoughts but God call?
As a child who was born in a family where church was not up for discussion but mandetory it would have been hard to know if I had a calling or whether my biological father and mother were calling me for church.
Only at varsity was I able to read the Bible and understand God's call. This is where I had a confirmation in my spirit that being a worshipper of songs is where God wanted me. When God calls you he also make sure that you have everything that you will need in your office. The call of God is too deep than our thoughts or imagination. Since I responded to the call of worship, I am seeing closed doors opening.

You invest a lot in quality CD/DVD covers and posters,  who creates your designs?
I Believe packaging speaks volume to the consumer, that's why even before we start with the mixing my CD cover should be designed and looks ready and then I invest all my time in the content. My designers are Elias Sethati and Emmanuel Nkosinathi Swandhle

Any advice for upcoming artists?
If you are under the other record label know what they are offering and let them know what you are expecting and sign only what you understand.
If you are under your own label please treat your brand in a professional manner. Do all necessary admin that needs to be done, marketing, sales, research and banking properly there is no way you won't make it. Gigs or no Gigs let there be a way of surviving in your area, Be faithful towards your brand and it will favour you back.

Please share your Social Media handles
FACEBOOK PAGES: Thili Maumela / Thili Production / Thili Production broadcast
INSTAGRAM: Thili Maumela
TWITTER: tmanmaumela 
WHATSAPP: +27 76 173 2660

Buy Thili Maumela's album Thank Him in Advance here #GospelBuzz